12.15.2011

Remember

Since it's almost Christmas (Yay!!!), I thought maybe we could take some time from our usual topics to remember the "reason for the season."

I heard something the other day that really made me think about my attitude towards Christmas. When we forget to worship Jesus during Christmas, it's like going to a birthday party and bringing everyone except for the birthday person a present. It's Christ's birthday that we're celebrating. Shouldn't our gift to Him be the most important thing on the list? It's so easy to get caught up in the craziness of the season though. There are parties to go to, cookies to bake, presents to buy- It's easy to forget the whole reason we're celebrating. This funny video explains it pretty well.



I've constantly had to remind myself this Christmas season that it's not about me. It's not about getting everyone the perfect gift, and even harder, is it's not about getting everything on my wish list! Whether I get the super cute jacket or fancy curling iron I want won't matter twenty years from now, and more importantly it definitely won't matter in eternity.

Matthew 6:19-20 says:

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Instead of a time to be greedy and materialistic, Christmas should be a time of thanks. Instead of thinking about the next big thing that we want, we should praise God for what He has already given us. We have food to eat, a roof over our heads, people who love us, and most of all we have a personal Savior if we have a relationship with Christ, who came to earth as a little baby to save us!

I'm going to challenge you (As well as myself!) to take time these next couple weeks to turn down the Christmas carols, put your shopping bags down, and remember the reason we celebrate. Remember the King who came and died so we could have eternal freedom! Talk to Him, listen to His words. Christmas is on a Sunday this year. I cannot think of a better way to begin Jesus' birthday than worshiping Him in His house! Whatever we do, let's remember the reason for the season, the hope that came to earth that night in Bethlehem. This Christmas, let's not forget the Birthday Boy!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails