11.24.2010

Red for the Holidays

Ladies, let’s talk hair color. Whether you’ve been every color from platinum blond to jet black or you’ve never been colored at all (hairdressers call this “virgin hair” =D), the holiday season is a great time to try it out.

With the weather getting colder and the trees changing the color of their leaves to red and orange in time for Thanksgiving and the Christmas decorations of red already being hung, I think it’s a great time to try warm tones in your hair, like reds or oranges. If you don’t like the idea of permanently changing your hair color, you could try a semi-permanent or demi-permanent color, which generally last for about 4-6 weeks and fade out without leaving a line of demarcation when your natural hair starts to grow out from the scalp. Ask your stylist about the hair-coloring options they offer.

Here are some hot colors to consider:

Rich Auburn

Jamie McCarthy/WireImage


This color is great for fall. It’s a reddish-brown like the color of autumn leaves. It works great on ladies with fair skin and pink undertones like Emma Stone.

Cinnamon Highlights

Charley Gallay/Getty Images for SW


Nothing reminds me of both autumn and Christmas more than cinnamon! These subtle red highlights look great in deep brunettes with darker skin tones, like Serena Williams.


Strawberry Blonde


Who doesn’t love Amy Adams hair color? This light, soft red is such a beautiful color and a gift if it’s natural, because it’s rare! But for those of us who aren’t blessed with such a gift, this color is all the rage lately and if you’re willing to lighten your hair, this is a nice option instead of the overdone platinum blonde.


Really Red



For the bold, eclectic girl, try a fiery red like Hayley Williams and bring out the rocker in you. Let everyone at the Christmas or New Year's party know you’ve arrived.

Are you trying a new hair color for Thanksgiving or Christmas? Which color would you like to try? Let’s talk!

8 comments:

  1. I have naturally ashy brown hair and a while back I put a ton of red (REDDDD) streaks in it and my family hated it...but I was happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have blonde hair on top and brown underneath and I actually dyed it a deep red (It was called Cinnaberry!) It faded quickly though :( i'm going to try to get a longer lasting one! I think the color looked a little redder than the first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have naturally blonde hair and the older I get the more my natural reddish highlights come out which i love! I'm not against coloring hair or anything but I never never want to color mine. I'd feel like I was cheating on other peoples' hair colors and then i wouldn't be me...lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have kind of strawberry blonde hair and i've been thinking of dying it more red...temporarily. :) why not now? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hair is a light brown (although it's getting slightly darker now that it's later in the year), and I have blond highlights at the moment. I would LOVE to dye my hair red like that last picture, but I don't know if I could get away with it :P After it gets past my shoulders (it's not quite touching right now), I think I'll try dying it a darker brown with one bright-colored streak on the left. Not sure what color yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not planning on coloring my hair, but Amy Adams' hair is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So in your article you said that the semi permanent hair color will not leave a line when it disappears on your hair? Is this true of all semi permanent hair colors? What brand would you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, this is true of most, if not all, semi/demi permanent hair color, or ammonia free color. A lot of stylists will call this a "glaze". I use TIGI Colour on my clients, ask your stylist about her ammonia free color line.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails