7.27.2011

Mirror, You Don't Define Me!

What is the first thought that comes to mind when you look into a mirror?

Is it: "Wow! I am so beautiful! The world just can't handle how pretty I am! Look at me....I'm perfect!"

Ok, I am guessing that the majority of us don't think that way. (If you do, you've got some serious vanity issues to work on!) If you are anything like me, you don't always like what you see in your reflection. Maybe you think your nose is too big, your hair is too curly, or you have too many pimples. And let's not even talk about some of the things that cross our minds looking into a full-length mirror!
We have given in to believing that in order to be beautiful and accepted, we have to live up to the unreasonable standards that our culture has set. Our hair has to be a certain way, our skin needs to be perfect, and we are only beautiful if we have the figure of every fake celebrity and model on magazines and TV screens. This is a hard issue for me, and I'm sure for most of you too. We live in a world where image is everything, and it is easy for us as young women to lose confidence in the way that God has made us.

So how should we respond when our reflection doesn't please us? Where can we find the affirmation that we truly are beautiful? We know what the answer is...Our Heavenly Father! God will never judge you by the clothes that you wear, or the hairstyle that you have. His definition of beauty doesn't change with time like the world's does. Do you want to know His definition of beauty? It's YOU! The creator of the universe thinks you are drop dead gorgeous! And how could he not? He created you in His own image!

One of my favorite verses is Psalms 45:11- "The king is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord." How amazing is that? God is enthralled by our beauty! It becomes so easy to forget though when we are having a bad hair day, when we don't like the size on the tag of our jeans, or when our biggest crush doesn't seem to be "enthralled" by our beauty!

When you're having a day like that, when you feel ugly or begin to criticize your body, talk to God! Tell Him what you are feeling. Ask Him to make you feel like the masterpiece He created you to be, because you know He doesn't make mistakes! Another good step is to memorize verses like Psalms 45:11 and say them to yourself when you're struggling with seeing yourself as God sees you. A few other good verses are:

1 Peter 3:3-4 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.

Psalm 139:14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

1 Samuel 16:7b For God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

Still having issues with your reflection? Here's something that works for me, and you may have heard of the idea before. One day, looking into the mirror, I decided that I was done with seeing myself through the eyes of the world. I took out an expo marker and covered my mirrors with bible verses and phrases from songs that would remind me that I was wonderfully made. A phrase that still gives me freedom every time I look at it is from "Mirror" by Barlow Girl.

"Mirror, you DON'T define me!"


5 comments:

  1. Great post, Erin!

    By the way, I don't think I ever really said hi to you, so welcome to MSL!!:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job Erin!! I LOVE this post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails