8.10.2012

Rejecting the Lies

You are not beautiful. No one will ever want you. You have nothing to offer. You are stupid. You are fat. You'll never be as good as her.  
You Are Not Enough.


These statements may seem harsh, and they really are. But if you are like every teenage girl, you hear these lies every day. Whether you hear them in your head, from the media, or from hurtful peers, you are constantly bombarded by lies that tell you that you will never be enough.

The sad part is that after hearing these lies day in and day out, we have begun to believe them. After looking at so many size 0 models, we start to believe that we are fat. When the world has told us we've needed a boyfriend since we were 12,  we have started to think that there is something wrong with us if we're single. When our "friends" exclude us from one more activity we begin to wonder if we belong anywhere.

After hearing so many times, from so many influences that we are not enough, we begin to believe it. We lose self confidence. We punish ourselves. We look everywhere to find our worth.


We (and maybe this is just me!) have let negative voices drown out the truth. The truth?

You ARE beautiful, inside and out. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. Your life has a purpose. You are loved. You are accepted.
You Are Worth Dying For!

The Bible says that God carefully crafted each one of us before the day that we were even conceived, and that He has a perfect plan for our lives. What's more, He loves us so much that He sent His only Son to die for us, so that we can have a relationship with Him. The God of the universe wants a relationship with you! If that doesn't affirm your value I don't know what would!

I know how easy this is to forget though. The next time you are feeling down on yourself, find truth in God's word. These verses really help me...

Psalm 139:13-14, 16
For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.  
 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.

 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
1 Samuel 16:7b
People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.
Philippians 4:13
 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 1:6
 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.
2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

So how do we reject lies? We replace them with truth.  John 8:32 says "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

The honest to goodness truth is that we alone are not good enough. We have imperfections, we make mistakes, and this is something we need to accept. The amazing part? God is enough. In Him we find forgiveness, affirmation, and value. In Him we can do all things. We can cast out insecurities. We can stand and tell the world that we are beautiful and we are loved. Because we know the truth, we can reject the lies.






 If you would like to learn more about rejecting lies of our culture I would definitely recommend the book and Bible study, Lies Young Women Believe by Nancy Demoss and Dannah Gresh. This is a great personal or small group study. It teaches you to combat lies about guys, self image, media, and much more. Check it out on Amazon and their website.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder. I was feeling super depressed today so I turned on the radio and the song you worth dieing for blasted. I love you guys!

    Lizzy <3
    www.prettymodestbffs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails